September 4, 2014

Our Humble Ganesha

Normally we use our regular Ganesha idol that we have at home for Ganesha Chaturthi Pooja. But this year in addition to that I attempted to make one. Well, not really using clay or something but using fresh produce from the grocery store.

I had no plans of making one until the previous evening it just occurred to me that I could carve a ganpati on a huge watermelon. I am creative to an extent but don't have very artistic hands. Carving seem to be a little far fetched given the time and zilch experience I have in fruit carvings!

I had asked my husband to pick up a huge watermelon on his way home from work. In the meantime as I thought more about it my confidence in attempting an artistic Ganpati carving was diminishing.
Lack of confidence forced me to think of a backup plan. So  I quickly prepared a list of items that I wanted and called my husband to add more items along with the huge watermelon.

So, what did I come up with? See for yourself :)

Our humble Ganesha made out of fruits and vegetables.




1) Green apple for head where I carved the eyes, eyebrows and stuck in some googly eyes that I borrowed from my son's craft items.

2) For Ears, umbrella and hands were made using green bell peppers.

3) For Trunk, I carved a portion of cucumber and shaped like it.

4) For Belly/Torso, Just used a small size watermelon as is.

5) For Legs, I used bottom part of Japanese Eggplant, But you can also use Zucchini if shape looks right.

Used toothpicks to assemble and fasten each part and pieces.

Of course a few decoration with Bindi and Fruits (Grapes) mala and Mukut (Crown) using grapes, strawberry and Zucchini.














Made Ganesha's favorite Modak's  steamed (rice powder dough covering with coconut+jaggery filling) and fried (All purpose flour covering with  coconut+jaggery filling).


I shaped/cut all the parts and kept them in my fresh produce containers and placed in the refrigerator.
The following morning before our sthapana and pooja we assembled and decorated it.


Here is a pic from the year 2012 - I made this ganesha face (on the tray) using Rice.



So, what do you think?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment

(©) All rights reserved by Paint My Word team.