January 14, 2014

Home Aesthetics - 101


Many of you know that we recently bought our 1st home. Finally we found a city to root ourselves for years to come. Our humble vote of thanks to the almighty for that.  It's been an exciting journey promoting ourselves from a renter's status to homeowner's status.

People who have known me for years know that I have been wanting to bring out my interior decor skills and apply it to each and every corner available :) (which we (I) have obviously attempted).

Over the years my taste, likes, style and design has changed (or should I say Updated!). Thanks to HGTV - "My Teacher". I learnt a lot from them. Every decor style has a name. It could be as simple as "Ethnic" or as fancy as "Eclectic" . You can even use names of 2 different styles and coin a word to come up with your own style name! If you must know "Shabby Chic" is one of the style name. I swear I did not come up with that.

In this due course of working towards putting our stamp on the house - We (I) made a handful of incorrect choices, we definitely have tried to make it right (or cover it up). We (I) bought a lot of stuff, we returned a few, we exchanged some, we donated a bunch. After all this I can't really say if we are (I am) done, because the heart always wants more.

No matter how much we learn from HGTV or magazines or by observing or from the superfluous info/pics on the internet, I am sure there will be at least one such space in  our home where we all will struggle finalizing the aesthetics. There are always going to be different ways of styling and arranging. But here is the truth - No matter what the end result may look like - "It's not bad taste just because its not according to other's taste". Who knows it might be even a better taste 

If the "Decorating - 101" rule book doesn't mention your style/choice then lets start a new rule book called "Decorating - 101 + 1". So here is my book of "Decorating - 101 + 1" and these are some of the pics from that 











Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 comments :

  1. Do share of your techniques Vidhya! I am hooked to HGTV right now and Chet has been busy executing my plans ! I got really inspired after seeing your place. Decor can really transform any space and add a unique character to it. The last picture, is it wallpaper? Did you do it yourself? How hard was it? With stencils how do you manage to not smudge the edges? I tried out stencils on frames and always got smudges :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pallavi for the complement. Yes the last pic is wallpaper. I wouldn't say it was hard to apply but it was a little tricky to cut them and align them. I and my husband managed it all by ourselves. So far its all be "Do it yourself" :) ...
      With Stencil...YES, stenciling on wall was definitely a tough one and takes a lot of patience. But once you find the right way then it becomes easier. A lot depends on how big your stencil is, how intricate it is. I always use 2 to 3 stencils of the same pattern so that i can dry the use one for a while I can keep going with the other one. Another hint would be to take off as much paint as possible from your roller (should almost look dry) before rolling it on top. Remember smaller the stencil sheet, easier it is to manage...Happy experimenting. Enjoy the process and don't get upset.

      Delete
    2. Also, smoother your wall, lesser the chances of smudging.

      Delete
  2. Nice Dining area...... I have always loved the idea of setting a dining area near the window and the shades look good too. But didn't get the first pic. yeah the wallpaper looks cool. But the pics that u have uploaded are too little considering the kind of house it looks from the outside. more pics daalo... also how have u done ur boy's room?

    Shubha Rajesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shubha. I haven't done much in his room since we are debating He wants to paint it orange and I am not ready for that. I have orange accents but don't want to go all orange...will take time to settle this out. By the way, neither my living room, nor my dining room that you see in this pic is like this. They look way different now, those are old pics from when we moved into the house :)

      Delete

(©) All rights reserved by Paint My Word team.