April 5, 2014

Fajita Casserole - 25 Steps To A Tex-Mex World

Mexican food has been my weakness in terms of food. It never fails to satiate my taste buds. May be the subtle resemblance to Indian ingredients? Most mexican flavored food joints have something that vegetarians like me can devour.When we are on the road I get excited thinking about how much I am going to hog on Taco Bell, Taco Time, Chipotle, Qdoba or any local mexican joints. Slurp!

Last weekend we went to a mexican restaurant (Cactus @ Bellevue Square Mall) to celebrate my birthday. Duh! it had to be Mexican. I chose Mexican cuisine the year before too. I seem to gravitate towards it. I had a great evening with friends and yes the food too was amazing.

Looks like I have been on a (Mex style) eating binge and the binge continued this weekend too except it was a cook and dine experience at home. Traditionally mexican food is incomplete without any kind of meat. But my vegetarianism calls for a recipe that can keep my integrity safe.

The attempt was to try a Fajita Casserole but I guess Fajita by itself will be good too.
What I like about this recipe is it takes less effort and it is scrumptious.

What do you need?
  • Bottle of Salsa Verde
  • Bottle of Picante Salsa
  • Can of Red Beans (Kidney Beans) Washed and Drained 
  • Bottle of picked Jalapeno Optional with kids
  • Sour Cream
  • Your choice of cheese. Grated
  • Fajita Seasoning 1 tblspn 
  • Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tblspn or more if you like it spicy
  • Salt
  • Oil 2 tblspn
  • Half Red Onion. Julienne Cut
  • 2 Green Pepper. Julienne Cut
  • 1 Red Pepper.    Julienne Cut
  • Iceberg Lettuce. Julienne Cut
  • Corn Tortillas (Soft). About 10 to 12 I prefer Corn Tortillas (Soft) over Flour Tortillas.
  • Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. Optional Ingredient

What did  I do with those above list of items?
  1. For cooking the Fajita mix use flat pan to heat oil.
  2. Sweat some onions
  3. Add 1/2 Fajita Seasoning, Cayenne Pepper and 1/2 of Salt
  4. Mix well
  5. Add both peppers and let them sweat a bit
  6. Mix Well
  7. Add the remaining Fajita Seasoning and remaining Salt
  8. Saute 
  9. Cook in low to medium heat
  10. Do not cover
  11. Cook until its half done
  12. Turn off the heat and let it cool down for few minutes say 10min
  13. Preheat oven at 350 degrees
  14. In a deep baking dish pour some Salsa Verde, Salsa Picante and the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup to cover the bottom of the pan.
  15. Prep the Tortillas with a little of Fajita mix, a little of Beans and roll it to place the rolled side down
  16. Repeat step 3 until you completely pack the Tortillas in the pan
  17. Pour more Salsa Verde, Salsa Picante and the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup to cover the top.
  18. Sprinkle Grated Cheese generously
  19. Cover the baking dish with foil 
  20. Bake it in the oven for about 15min.
  21. Turn off the oven and leave the dish in the oven for about 5-10min






How did I like it served?
  1. Place a large scoop of the melting cheese topped (mouth watering) casserole on a plate.
  2. Garnished with shredded Iceberg Lettuce
  3. A dollop of snow white sour cream (well a little more than a dollop is just fine too) 
  4. Threw in a handful of crushed tortilla chips...
Buen Provecho! Sorry I got no pictures to show you, was busy relishing.  ...hmmmm...hmmmm...yummmm

Hope you try it too.

If you are serving the Fajita style then instead of putting salsa verde and salsa picante in the baking dish pour them in the Tortilla along with the rest of the serving / garnishing things too before you stuff it in your mouth.
The advantage that I feel making a Casserole is that it leaves less mess while serving which means more time for devouring. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

(©) All rights reserved by Paint My Word team.