May 2, 2014

Saporous Salad


Is there a salad without the leafy content? Although these days Kale and Arugula has captured the Salad bowls, but I couldn't seem to enjoy them as much as I enjoy Lettuce. Among all the variety of Lettuce's available, Iceberg is my all time favorite. It has more water content (in other words fiber) than any other.


Couscous (Cooked as per package instructions)
Lettuce (Shredded)
Red Onion (Diced small)
Avocado (Diced small)
Cucumber (Peeled and Diced small)
Can of Garbanzo beans (alternatively you can pressure cook at home)
Can of Kidney beans (alternatively you can pressure cook at home)
Lots of Cilantro (My go to herb)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Substitutes and Variations:
You can substitute Couscous with Quinoa.
By choice I don't use tomatoes in my salads, but its upto you.
Cilantro has been my first choice of herb. I guess parsley would be good too.
If you like to treat yourself, you can even sprinkle Parmesan Cheese or Feta.
In addition to Feta, Olives will make it all the way mediterranian.

Vinaigrettes:
I am also sharing few vinaigrettes that I make to flavor my salad, but you can skip this and eat what I call virgin salad with just salt and pepper:). You are welcome to plus or minus ingredients.

Option 1: Balsamic Vinegar (Fig Flavor), Lime or Lemon Juice , Olive Oil,  Salt, Pepper, Horseradish & Wasabi Paste, Dijon Mustard.
Horseradish tends to be a little hot and may be even rancid so use it wisely.

Option 2: Balsamic white Vinegar, Lime or Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper and unsweetened cocoa powder.
I know, that cocoa powder is a surprise isn't it? The cocoa gives out a bitter taste and mixing with acidic flavor is something your taste buds may not have discovered yet. Of course use the cocoa wisely due of its bitterness.

Option 3: Balsamic Vinegar, Lime or Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Honey, Dijon Mustard and powdered or crushed almonds and walnuts.
Hmmm....Hmmmm.....yumm...to the sapid nutty flavor. You are welcome to substitute your choice of nuts/seeds.

Tip: I serve my vinaigrettes separately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

(©) All rights reserved by Paint My Word team.